4-H State fair appeals
4-H state fair appeals process provides a vehicle to respond to 4-H
member concerns relating to the Minnesota State Fair 4-H rules/decisions.
This process provides a means for members' and parents'/guardians' concerns to be heard.
The state fair appeals process provides a vehicle to respond to 4-H member concerns relating to the Minnesota State Fair 4-H rules and decisions. This process provides a means for members' and parents'/guardians' concerns to be heard.
What may be appealed
Issues relating to the state fair may be appealed including eligibility, auction eligibility, deadline violations, rule violations, etc
Who makes the ruling
The State Fair 4-H Appeals Committee will consist of five members chosen by the state fair 4-H superintendent. The committee make-up may vary depending on the appeal.
Process for filing an appeal
- Appeals relating to deadline violations or similar infractions prior to the fair must be filed at the Extension Center for Youth Development, 475 Coffey Hall, 1420 Eckles Ave., St. Paul MN 55108, Attn: Brad Rugg. Phone: 1-800-444-4238, Fax 1-612-624-6905 OR the Minnesota State Fair 4-H Livestock Office in writing on the appropriate appeal form listing the reasons for the appeal.
- All appeals against a rule violation, judge's decision or a complaint against an individual or county (things that occurred at the fair) must be filed at the 4-H Livestock Office in the cattle barn on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St. Paul OR at the Extension Center for Youth Development, 475 Coffey Hall, 1420 Eckles Ave., St. Paul MN 55108, Attn: Brad Rugg. Fax 1-612-624-6905 in writing on the appropriate appeal form listing the reasons for the appeal.
- All appeals must be signed by the person(s) filing the complaint. (There is no limit as to the number of individuals who can sign an appeal.)
- All appeals against a county, individual, or animal at the Minnesota State Fair must be filed within 24 hours of completion of the species' show or judging, otherwise the original decision/ruling automatically stands.
- If an appeal has been properly filed, the 4-H state fair superintendant will schedule a hearing with the State Fair 4-H Appeals Committee.
- The appeal form must be submitted with $100 (cash or money order only). The money will be returned only if the decision is ruled in favor of the peron(s) filing the appeal.
4-H Appeals committee
The State fair appeals process provides a vehicle to respond to 4-H member concerns relating to the Minnesota State Fair rules or decisions. This process provides a means for members' and parents'/guardians concern to be heard by a committee of peers./p>
Responsibilities and duties
- attend all meetings
- listen to the appeals presented with an open mind
- ask appropriate questions to ensure all relevant information is presented
- after conferring with other members of the committee, make a decision regarding the appeal
- keep information presented during the appeal hearing and the discussions held during the decision-making time confidential
- the ability to remain impartial
- the ability to keep information confidential
- the ability to be consistent with decisions
1-3 meetings prior to, during or soon after the fair to hear appeals
The task is accomplished by working with: other committee members, 4-H members and parents/guardians, and Minnesota Extension Service staff.
Expectations of working with Extension
The state fair superintendent will appoint members to serve on the state fair appeals committee. The state fair 4-H superintendent will attend all meetings at which appeals are heard to ensure that all sides are heard and all options/alternatives are considered. The state fair 4-H superintendent will facilitate the meeting but will not have a vote in the final decision.