NW: Jessica Sedivy, Wally Steinhoff
NE: Elizabeth Chapman, Regina Dolan, Pat Chapman, Joseph Dolan,
C: Kelly Hanson, Jan Barthelemy,
SW: Nick Steinmetz, Loretta Eichmann, Melanie Pamp, Cathy Steinmetz,
SE: Owen Holmseth
Extension Educators Present: Laurie Magnus
- Dodge County
Extension Educators Absent: Renee Hink-Ferrington - Aitkin County, Al Rasmussen - Clearwater County
Center Staff Present: Tammy Lorch
Guests Present: LeRoy Tagatz, Mackenzie McMaines, Shannan Weis
The meeting was called to order by Karen Loken, PDC Chair at 10:45 a.m. Everyone present introduced themselves. The districts met in caucus to discuss concerns.
$3,477.36 with outstanding bills to the Northern Regional Show and to the Supersession as well as refunds to the state show alternates from the Central Regional. Karl presented the report regarding the financial picture. Discussion regarding fund raising including selling advertising in the show program - referred to the finance committee for discussion. The committee consists of Karl, Laurie, and Cherrye.
M/S/C (Cherrye/Kelly) to pay the Northern Regional Show of $465.53.
M/S/C (Laurie/Erin) to pay the Washington County Agricultural Society to rent the building for Supersession.
Appointment of New Members
Applications will be sent to the nominating committee to develop the slate of members to be voting on. There is one person who has submitted an application for the SE district however, there is not an opening.
Standing Committee Reports
Agility - Cherrye
M/S/C (Cherrye/Marlene) to approve the revised Agility Rules and Guidelines.
Tammy will send out the revised copy to all County Extension Offices and County Dog Project Contacts.
Judges Certification - Tammy
Committee has not met. Brad has left messages at some committee members' home phones and did not receive any replies. This committee has not turned in any report of their committee objectives as was directed at the April 1998 meeting.
M/S/C (Cherrye/Marlene) to direct Brad and Tammy to follow the same procedure to hire judges for the regional and state shows as they follow to hire judges for state fair.
Laurie passed out a Judges Contract and a Judges Vouchers,
which give the specific details regarding the judges services.
M/S/C (Cherrye/ Marlene) to include a more than 4 and less than 6 = $75.00. [1 abstained]
M/S/C (/Cherrye/Jeff) to set the mileage rate at $.31 per mile to be reviewed yearly.
M/S/C (Kelly/Cherrye) to accept the Judges Voucher and Judges Contract with the changes as approved.
Obedience/Showmanship - Karen
Jeff and Kelly are serving on the committee. This committee will determine whether or not to have a pre-utility class. Another suggestion might be to modify the graduate open rather than add another class. A discussion about being able to show an additional 4-H team per county. It has been suggested to change Veterans class to novice scoresheet rather than the graduate novice as it is now. These suggestions are referred to the committee for discussion and will be brought back to this committee for final approval.
M/S/C (Jeff/Cherrye) to split the brace class into junior or senior categories.
M/S/C (Kelly/Jeff) to refer to the Obedience/Showmanship committee the decision of whether or not to allow each county to send an additional 4 dog team to the regional competition.
Show - Cherrye
Committee members are Laurie, Nancy Holmseth, Tammy, Regional Show Coordinators. The purpose of the committee is really to develop the guidebook to conduct a regional show and the coordination of the state show. The committee will be meeting on Friday, April 23, 1999 at Perkins at 3:00
Project Bowl - Marlene
Marlene felt the day went well but addressed the following concerns:
Crowded holding room - rooms must be booked at least four months in advance and there was a "glitch" this year with another bowl's room so we had to share.
Starting Time - couldn't get into the building in time in order to get set up in time and did start 45 minutes late.
Talking during the rounds - other team members and coordinators did not witness any problems.
Supersession - Karl
A schedule including educational tracks has been developed. Dorothy Brouwers will coordinate the Agility portion. Karl will ask Ruth Van Karen to address Dog Behavior and Aggression. Agility committee will probably not be doing a judge's certification. Committee meetings will not be happening during the actually sessions this year. Schedule will be going out to all counties soon.
State Fair Dog Project Activities/Demonstrations
Dorothy Brouwers, Freeborn County is willing to coordinate this. Tammy will contact her and send her the information that Leona Hellsevig has given her from past years. Tammy and Brad will look into having the dog group represented in the parade.
Regional Show Reports
South - Will be held in Fairmont, MN in Martin County Fairgrounds. Because there is so much space, the agility will be able to be done on one day September 11, 1999. Last year there was a problem with a dog biting at the state show and at the regional show. There needs to be something in writing for a policy and judges and trainers need to follow these policies. The show committee will add something to the regional handbook.
M/S/C (Rhonda/Jeff) the show committee will develop a form to be signed by the participant and parent, to go along with the entry form that will document the procedure for when a dog bites and/or shows aggression.
Central - is scheduled for September 25, 1999, in Champlin Park High School.
North - looking for information on what to do from the Show committee. Building in Bemidji.
State Show Report
It will be held in Hutchinson on October 23, 1999. Cherrie will be the coordinator this year. It will be the same format as last year. McLeod County is willing to do the food stand again. The foodstand needs to be in a different location. Computer program will be out to counties on June 15.
Minnesota 4-H Dog Project Vaccination Certificate and
Tammy and Laurie developed a draft of the form. The form will be used next year and will be going to the printer on Monday, April 19, 1999. Discussion followed about the requirement of Leptospiros.
M/S/C (Marlene/Cherrye) to accept the form with the following changes: the statement about Lepto will say "The Leptospirios requirement may be waived if the veterinarian places an "x" in the box below,
q I certify that this dog has not been vaccinated for Leptospirios".
M/S/C (Rhonda/Jenny) to accept the rabies policy that will consider the vaccination current through the expiration date.
There have been no changes from last year. It needs to be linked to the Center for 4-H Youth Development Home page.
Addition of Dog Related Exhibit:
Laurie is proposing a "building exhibit" be added to the State Dog Show. This would mean adding an exhibit that would be conference judged. Laurie will put together a description of what this project could entail and will present it at the June meeting.
Next meeting 10:30 am Friday, June 11, 1999, prior to
M/S/C (Rhonda/Kelly) to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 3:10 p.m.
Laurie Magnus - Secretary