NW: Jennifer Erickson, Jeff McMaines, MacKenzie McMaines, Wally Steinhoff
C: Erin Adley
SE: Angela Aanas, Marlene Scott, Rhonda Weis
Extension Educators Present: Jon Hjelm, Laurie
Extension Educators Absent: Kelly Strei
Center Staff Present: Tammy Lorch, Brad Rugg
Guests Present: Linda Allen, Dorothy Brouwers, Amber Carlson, Becky Carlson, Tess DeBlieck, Anita Geske, Jon Geske, Nancy Holmseth, Chelsey Knoll, Jason Prasch, Brenden Roman, Shilo Roman, Tana Schmalenberg, Vicky Schmalenberg, Amy Severson, Paul Severson, Sue Severson, Jena Seydel, Emily Wagner, Shari Wagner
The meeting was called to order by Chair, Cathy Steinmetz, at 10:30 a.m. Everyone present introduced himself or herself. Districts met to discuss issues they wanted to have presented.
NW: Would like to see more breakdown for state
awards; want to keep Regional Shows; would like to add agility to Regionals;
would like different references/questions for dog bowl on regular basis
C: State Show needs to separate score table for agility from ring area; enjoy 2 days for agility; showmanship problem - kids are following judge outside of ring to hear questions, suggest buffer zone; happy with format of State Show this year
SW: Nothing to discuss
SE: good comments on two day State Show; questions about agility questions in project bowl; would like to see 1-6th place ribbons at state-keep third at least
Secretary's Report - Kelly
M/S/C (Melanie/Owen) to accept the minutes of the June 9, 2000 meeting as printed.
Treasurer's Report - Karl
Current balance of $8,745.65 with a few outstanding bills for the show. Handouts were passed around. There was a profit at all shows. State Show had $1150-1200 profit. $500 taken in donations for State Show plaques, needed $512, foundation keeps 10%, therefore need to pay $62 still. Laurie will find donors to make up the extra money so that the committee does not need to pay anything.
M/S/C (Karl O./Nick) to accept the treasurer's report as read.
There were about 80 participants and a profit of $875. Cathy will contact Jeff to see if he is interested in hosting Supersession again next year. We will find out over e-mail list who will host the event. Freeborn/Faribault counties are tentatively interest in hosting, but need to talk with county program first. Need to have dates set by Jan. 1st and information in by Feb. 1st Tentative dates - June 8-10, 15-17, 22-24 are open options. Kelly, secretary, will start sending thank you notes from PDC to counties that host these events.
State Fair Report
Dog-Related Exhibit - Tammy: This was the 1st year that members could take dog projects to state fair as a dog-related exhibit. It went well and twenty-four 4-H'ers participated.
State Fair Demos - Dorothy: This year planned to do two days; south took on e day and no one else did demos on 2nd day. We need a volunteer to be in charge and no one offered to do this; therefore there will be no demonstrations at the state fair this coming year.
Project Bowls - Cindy/Kelly
The new 4-H curriculum books will be used this year. Agility question - why are there more construction vs. rules/regulations questions? The reason is because the computer randomly selects questions from those written by Kelly. There are both varieties of questions written.
Regionals: Feb. 24 - Mower Co. March 3 - Norman Co. March 10 - Redwood Co. March 17 - Morrison Co.
State: April 7 - Buffalo, MN
Regional Show Reports
South - Dorothy
Made magnets for all kids (county paid half, registration paid half); committee felt this was ok to do
If do a raffle who gets the money. The county can receive the money if they post a sign saying where the money is going.
Comment about Kathy Francis (judge); positive comments about how she handled a situation that came up.
Less stressful without agility.
Central - Marlene
2nd year went much better
Less stressful without agility
Had movies and coloring table for kids; very successful
Need buffer zone to keep people away from ring and also have stewards watching to stop coaching on the sidelines and keep kids from listening to questions outside ring.
Ribbon concern: 1st/2nd only; tried to make show more similar to state fair
Would like to recommend placing beyond 2nd
Showmanship - place call-back class only
Obedience - post all blue ribbons
M/S/C (Cherrye/Jon) to turn the awards placing over to the show committee to bring back to the PDC with a recommendation
Youth & Adult Leader Awards - selected by Extension
Educator and 4-H volunteer
It was suggested to announce these winners at the middle of the show rather than at the end. This year there were 3 youth because there was only 1 adult and normally there are two of each.
Adult - Dorothy Brouwers
Youth - Mackenzie McMaines, Jennifer Erickson, Angela Eipers
Regional & State Shows for 2001 - Brad/Tammy
Need North & Central locations for next year; interest from West Ottertail and Kandiyohi Co.
Brad will be sending out a survey to regional & state participants offering them options for the future: leave as is with 3 regionals and state OR have no regionals and only state (dog is only project with regional shows)
If only have state show, would utilize the 4-H building at the state fairgrounds; dorms and food service available; must be held in Sept.
Continue with no agility at Regionals? There were mixed feelings on this issue. Issues: unfair to those not in agility; less stressful without; if use quota from county show will have same kids each year; good to see at Regionals since not everyone can go to state even if qualify; not enough volunteers; agility works better without Regionals; economically and time feasible?
Add a 4th Regional show? Central is too large
Standing Committee Reports
Obedience/Showmanship - Kelly
need to set up a meeting in person
Added committee members: Donna Sonnek, Shari Wagner, Dorothy Brouwers
Marlene Scott is no longer on the committee
Agility - Cathy
Saw samples of height cards
How do agility judges become certified? Agility committee recommends people to judges certification committee.
Recommend Karl Reimer, Karl Oestrich, Darlene Smentana., Jan Brewly, Jocelyn Brouwers to be certified; 7 others in process of apprenticeship.
Thank you to Minnesota Agility Club (MAC) for monetary donation and Animal Inn for facility use.
Should provide mileage, etc. to counties that provide for show? Did for agility training - gave equipment fee to county and mileage to person who hauled (max. $100) - need to have a policy
M/S/C (Cherrye/Karl O.) to pay $25 for wear and tear on
ring equipment supplied at state show this year to Karl R. and Dakota Co.
Suggest show committee decide about policy for equipment reimbursement for future
Each Region did a good job getting bills in to Karl by the time of this meeting
Need guidelines saying what gets reimbursed from the regional show registration fees or where the money comes from; Tammy and Brad will come up with guidelines for the next meeting to be looked at
Leona went over their last meeting minutes
Seminar was cancelled for Oct. 28-29 due to miscommunication
Details must be finalized 3 months ahead of time
Process needs to be altered to get more judges certified
Membership and applications: there needs to be an application
PDC appoints members to the Judges Certification Committee (clarification)
If upgraded by category, are they off committee or do they remain on? Cathy would like to keep Karl O. on for now and deal with more later…keep until certification process is completed
will look at ribbons and reimbursement for next meeting
Appointment of New Members
NE Youth: Tana Schmalenberg
NE Volunteer: Cynthia Sassen (1 yr.) and Vicky Schmalenberg (3 yrs.)
C Youth: Jason Prasch
C Volunteer: Karl Reimer
SE Youth: Owen Holmseth
SE Volunteer: Cherrye Tagatz (3 yrs.) and Rhonda Weis (1 yr)
M/S/C (Karl O./Nick) to have one ballot and in the case of more than one opening the person with the most votes will get the longest term and the person with the second most votes will have the shorter term.
Election of Officers for 2001
M/S/C (Laurie/Karl O.) to nominate Cathy Steinmetz for Chair.
M/C/S (Cherrye/Laurie) to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Cathy Steinmetz for Chair.
M/C/S (Laurie/Marlene K.) to nominate Jason Prasch for Vice Chair.
M/C/S (Karl O./Laurie) to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Jason Prasch for Vice Chair.
M/C/S (Karl R./Karl O.) to nominate Kelly Edgar for Secretary.
M/C/S (Karl R./Owen) to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Kelly Edgar for Secretary.
M/C/S (Leona/Karl O.) to nomination Karl Reimer for Treasurer.
M/C/S (Laurie/Karl O.) to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Karl Reimer for Treasurer.
2001 Meeting Dates
M/C/S (Nick/Kelly) to adjourn the meeting at 3:05 p.m.
Kelly Edgar, Secretary