Horse Project Speech and Demonstration Contest
Another Opportunity to Learn About Horses!
This event is held every September in conjunction with the state 4-H Horse Show. Start preparing for it early in the year, by participating in your project group or club. You may start with a speech you have done for school. Use this as an opportunity to talk to schoolmates about your interest in horses or the horse industry. With little more work, move on to the state level and share your knowledge and experience with a broader audience.
General Event Guidelines
- Demos may be an individual presentation or by team of two.
- The state fairgrounds demo area does not allow the use of live horses. Videos can be used.
- Original speech compositions are preferred, but not required.
- Age: You must have completed sixth grade and not past your 19th birthday by the date of the state contest to be eligible for national contests. If you are past your 19th birthday and are a current 4-H member, you may compete at the State contest. Please see the Horse Show Handbook for more information
- You must be enrolled in Minnesota 4-H, but need not be a Horse Project participant.
- Minnesota award representatives must meet National Contest guidelines.
- Subject matter must pertain to the horse industry.
- Length of presentation: Individual Demo 9-12 Minutes, Team Demo 10-15 minutes, Speech 7-10 minutes.
- You will be penalized 3 points for each minute under or each minute over alloted length
- You must cite your sources.
- Most importantly — HAVE FUN!
A judge will evaluate your demonstration or speeches. After each presentation, the judge will talk with you about it. The following is a guideline used for evaluating the presentations and making awards:
|Content and Accuracy||25||Content and Accuracy||20|
|Stage Presence||10||Stage Presence||15|
|Effect on Audience||5||Effect on Audience||10|
The Next Step
It is up to you. For more information and presentation guidelines, refer to the Minnesota State 4-H Horse Show & Events Rules on the Minnesota 4-H Horse Project page. We hope to see you in our Minnesota State 4-H Horse Show in September.