2013 Livestock Quota Bonus Trips
To offer a limited number of additional livestock trips to the MN State Fair to counties who excel in educational programming and/or livestock quality.
There are increasing requests from Extension Educators and Program Coordinators for additional State Fair livestock trips. Two primary explanations for additional trips are exceptional quality in a specific species show in a given county or a miscalculation on trips awarded as opposed to trips deserved. This program provides for greater equality in awarding trips for quality. It will also begin to reward county programs for programming excellence in a given species area.
Additional Trips per Species
A total of 56 bonus trips will be awarded. (Beef - 10, Dairy - 10, Dairy Goat - 4, Meat Goat - 4, Poultry - 6, Rabbit - 6, Sheep - 8, Swine - 8) About 40% (22) will be awarded for livestock quality. The other 60% (34) will awarded for programming excellence. This could vary somewhat depending on the quality of applications.
Each Livestock Show Committee will choose a sub-committee comprised of one Extension Staff person, one volunteer, and one youth to review the applications. The applications will be one page in length and designed not to take a great deal of time to complete. Applications are designed such that they could be completed by an Extension Staff person, volunteer, or 4-Her. All applications require an Extension Educator or Program Coordinator signature to assure accuracy. Applications are due to the Center for Youth Development by June 1 and could include activities/results since June 1 of the previous year. Applications will be duplicated and forwarded to the sub-committee who could either meet in person or conference call to make final decisions. Bonus trips will be awarded by June 25th. Applications submitted for programming excellence will be evaluated on unique project meetings or service learning activities that enhance the depth of the livestock project. Applications submitted for quality livestock will be evaluated on previous results at State Fair and/or related shows. No advantage will be given for larger or smaller enrollment numbers.
Counties earning bonus trips will be duly noted in each respective show catalog, including a brief description of accomplishments.
Livestock Programming Excellence Application ( Livestock Quota Bonus Trips Application Cover Sheet ~ Programming Excellence form)
Programming Excellence Application Notice: Any pages beyond the 4-page application of the cover sheet, 200-word description (any words over the 1st 200 will be removed before judging), photos page (words allowed as brief captions only), and publicity page (one page of actual publicity only) will be excluded from the application.
Livestock Quality Application (Livestock Quota Bonus Trips Application Cover Sheet ~ Livestock Quality form)
The application must ONLY include attached pages of 2011 and 2012 Fair Data and a 200-Word Personal Statement with respect to the indicated species.