Fishing Sports Project
Explore fishing in the Land of 10,000+ Lakes. Learn about fish species and habitats; experiment with fishing gear, baits and lures; tie knots, lines and flies; research fishing regulations; and explore careers related to fishing.
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Shooting sports & wildlife instructors must be certified. This is a weekend training designed to cover the needed knowledge and rules to become a certified instructor in one discipline: Archery, Muzzleloading, Shotgun, Air Rifle/Air Pistol/.22 Rifle, Wildlife and Coordinator. It covers life skills, state regulations, and content skills needed for each of the six disciplines. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Fishing Sports Project resources
Beginning to learn about fishing sports:
- Fishing for Adventures 1 - Take the Bait ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Some experience with this project:
- Fishing for Adventures 2 - Reel in the Fun ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Looking for a challenge:
- Fishing for Adventures 3 - Cast Into The Future ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Project leader resources
Other online resources
- Fishing in Minnesota
(Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources)
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Parks & Trails TV - Minnesota
- MinnAqua DNR fishing education
- News from the University of Minnesota Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Biology
- Colorado 4-H Sportfishing Library
- Developmental stages of fish in 3D (University of Washington)
- Fish posters of the world
- American Sport Fishing Association
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
4-H Youth record keeping
- Fishing sports evaluation sheet (39 K PDF)