Performing Arts Project
Develop and present stories through acting, mime, movement, puppetry, and technical theater. Learn acting techniques and improvisation, costume and set design, makeup techniques, and technical stage lighting and sound. And if you're musically inclined, write a musical, sing or play an instrument.
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Youth from counties prepare and perform a play, dance, musical, or other act. Each county nominates one group to perform at the State Fair. More info.
Minnesota 4-H Arts-In is an eight-day intensive arts experience, as they prepare a musical to perform during the Minnesota State Fair. Youth gain experiences in performing arts, including singing, dancing, acting, instrumental accompaniment, costume design, set construction and technical work. Each year, 4-H State Arts-In youth perform at least 40 shows to 12,000 audience members in the 4-H building on the fairgrounds.
Participants continue to work on goals while putting on several daily performances, and play leadership roles for 4-H members and act as representatives for 4-H building visitors. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. More than 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Performing Arts Project resources
Beginning to learn about performing arts:
- Theatre Arts 1: Play the Role (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall
Some experience with this project:
- Theatre Arts 2: Becoming a Puppeteer! (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall
Looking for a challenge:
- Theatre Arts 3: Setting the Stage! (40 pages) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Project leader resources
- Theatre Arts - Helpers Guide - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Theatre Arts (Set of 4) - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
- Share the Fun: 4-H Expressive Arts Leader's Guide - Find this in the 4-H Mall.
Other online resources
4-H Youth record keeping
- Performing arts evaluation sheet (38 K PDF)