Learn the history of classic American clown characters, and the basic skills and tools for clowning. As you do, you'll put together a clown kit of props, wigs, makeup, and scripts. Then it's show time!
State & regional events
To view county or local club events, visit the county website.
Minnesota 4-H Arts-In is an eight-day intensive arts experience, as they prepare a musical to perform during the Minnesota State Fair. Youth gain experiences in performing arts, including singing, dancing, acting, instrumental accompaniment, costume design, set construction and technical work. Each year, 4-H State Arts-In youth perform at least 40 shows to 12,000 audience members in the 4-H building on the fairgrounds.
Participants continue to work on goals while putting on several daily performances, and play leadership roles for 4-H members and act as representatives for 4-H Building visitors. More info.
Youth from counties prepare and perform a play, dance, musical, or other act. Each county nominates one group to perform at the State Fair. More info.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info.
Clowning Project resources
Beginning to learn about clowning:
- Theatre Arts 1 - Play the Role ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Some experience with this project:
- Theatre Arts 2 - Becoming a Puppeteer! ($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Looking for a challenge:
- Theatre Arts 3 - Setting the Stage!($3.95 (40 pages) Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- The Art of Clowning (Washington State University Extension Booklet)
Project leader resources
- Theatre Arts - Helpers Guide ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Theatre Arts - Set of 4 ($3.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Share the Fun - 4-H Expressive Arts Leader's Guide $1.50
Other online resources
- 4-H Clowning for smiles (Video)
The organizations listed here may provide more information in this project area. The following information is for educational purposes only. Reference to commercial products or trade names does not imply endorsement by MinnesotaExtension or bias against those not mentioned.
Clowns of America International Inc.
PO Box 1171
Englewood FL 34295-1171
Phone: 1-877-816-6941 or 1-941-474-4351
World Clown Association
CHD Management LLC (business manager)
PO Box 12215
Merrillville IN 46411
Phone: 1-800-336-7922 or 1-219-487-5317
2136 Plainfield Ave, NE
Grand Rapids MI 49505
4-H Youth record keeping
- Clowning evaluation sheet (38 K PDF)