Building Leadership & Understanding
4-H youth leader retreats
Building Leadership and Understanding (BLU) is an exciting and fun area leadership adventure that brings together more than 500 youth from across Minnesota to help them learn and practice valuable skills that they will be able to take back with them to their counties and communities and use throughout their lives.
When and where is BLU?
- February 2-3, 2013 - Crowne Plaza, Minneapolis North
- February 9-10, 2013 - AmericInn, Mankato
- March 2-3, 2013 - Hampton Inn & Suites, Bemidji
- March 23-24, 2013 - AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center, Mankato - RESCHEDULED
Onsite registration is Sat. between 12:45 and 1 p.m. BLU will end at 11:30 a.m. on Sun.
What type of activities does BLU offer me?
BLU is full of opportunities!
- Meet and make new friends with youth from across Minnesota
- Learn from hands-on workshops
- Gain new leadership and communication skills to bring back to your community
- Work together with other youth and adults in service-learning activities
- Have tons of fun at the dance, small group gatherings, and much more!
Who can attend?
All youth (non-4-H youth are encouraged to participate) enrolled in grades 6-12 and college freshmen. Registrations are contingent on appropriate chaperone coverage. Registrations from each county must be accompanied by the chaperone's name before the registration for participants will be accepted. The right is reserved to refuse registration if appropriate coverage is not provided. Refunds will be issued if the registration is refused.
How much does it cost and how do I register?
The cost to register for BLU in 2013 is $80 for all participants and adult chaperones. This covers all meals, lodging, activities, and supplies. A conference T-shirt is available in 2013 for an additional $12 if ordered at registration.
Weather cancellation policy: Should this program be cancelled due to inclement weather (and not rescheduled), a $45 program fee will be deducted from the registration fee to cover actual expenses. The actual program fee deduction may be less, dependent upon actual expenses incurred. Participants will receive their reimbursement from their county 4-H Extension office. If you ordered a T-shirt, it will be available either via mail or through your county Extension office by the end of March.
Refund policy: No refunds will be given. However, substitutions are allowed. Please contact your county Extension office immediately if a substitution is made.
- Packing list (516 K PDF)
- Code of conduct and cell phone policy (427 K PDF)
- Registration forms are unique to each county, as county deadlines vary
Contact your your county for more information and a registration form
- If not currently affiliated with a county 4-H program, you are welcomed and invited to BLU! Please contact Jacquie Lonning (see next section) for more information.
Jacquie Lonning, citizenship program manager
Kim Thompson, executive office and administrative specialist