Preserving and Preparing
- Dry venison jerky safely-add a final step in the drying process a 275°F oven for 10 minutes for safe quality jerky More
- Home canned venison, beef, poultry or fish must be processed in a pressure canner to ensure a safe canned meat product.
- To wash or not to wash raw poultry? USDA does not recommend washing your turkey before cooking. Cooking to proper temperature will destroy any bacteria present.
- The basics of roasting a turkey are a 325°F oven for approximately 15 minutes per pound.
- Use a food thermometer to ensure the turkey has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165°F to prevent foodborne illness.
- For optimal safety and uniform doneness, cook stuffing separate from turkey.
- Refrigerate all leftovers in shallow containers (2-3inches deep) within 2 hours of cooking. Use leftover turkey, stuffing and gravy within 3 to 4 days.
- Reheat leftovers to 165°F or until hot and steaming.
Do you have 5 minutes to spare? Learn something new with one of these short narrated slideshows. More