Canning fruit cocktail
- 3 lb. peaches
- 3 lb. pears
- 1½ lb. slightly underripe seedless green grapes
- 10-oz. jar of maraschino cherries
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
Yield: About 6 pints
- Stem and wash grapes, and keep in ascorbic acid solution.
- Dip ripe but firm peaches, a few at a time, in boiling water for 1 to 1½ minutes to loosen skins. Dip in cold water and slip off skins. Cut in half, remove pits, cut into ½ inch cubes and keep in solution with grapes.
- Peel, halve, and core pears. Cut into ½ inch cubes, and keep in solution with grapes and peaches.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Drain mixed fruit.
- Add ½ cup of hot syrup to each jar. Then add a few cherries and gently fill the jar with mixed fruit and more hot syrup, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process.
- Boiling-water bath
- Half-pints or pints – 25 minutes
Revised by Deb Botzek-Linn, University of Minnesota Extension educator, 2010.