Extension > Food > Food Safety > Preserving and preparing > Canning > Canning basics 5: Equipment used for home canning
Canning basics 5: Equipment used for home canning
- Pressure canner with rack, lid, and a dial gauge or weighted gauge
- Water bath canner with rack and lid
- Jars, lids, and screw bands
- Jar lifter for easy removal of hot jars from canner
- Funnel or jar filler to pack small food items into jars
- Bubble freer, plastic knife, or spatula. Do not use metal because it scratches glass which could cause it to break more easily.
- Lid wand with magnet on the end to remove lids from hot water when following manufacturers treatment instructions.
- Clean cloths for wiping jars rims and general cleanup
- Knives for product preparation
- Timer or clock to determine end of processing time
- Clean towels, rack, or board on which to cool the hot jars after processing
- Hot pads
- Cutting board