Cooking Safely for a Crowd
You may be a good cook, but cooking for a crowd is different. Where do you store all that food? How do you keep the cold foods cold? When is the food completely cooked? How long can you leave the serving tray on the buffet table?
There is a lot to learn about how to plan, prepare, and serve food in quantities as well as how to make sure the food is safe. It is scary to think about people getting sick from your meal, but it can and does happen. Each year, millions of people suffer from foodborne illness. While foodborne illness can be as mild as a stomach ache, it can also be fatal.
Topics covered in the 3-hour course include:
- Planning the quantity food event
- Foodborne illness: how does bacteria grow?
- Personal hygiene for safe food: handwashing
- Cross contamination
- Time and temperatures
- Storing food supplies
- Preparing quantity food
- Keeping food safe when holding and serving
- Handling the leftovers
The workshop is designed for volunteers who help prepare, serve or handle food at any large group event. This may be the funeral lunches you serve, the pancake breakfasts, the parish dinners, community meals, county fair or festival booths, banquets, fund raisers or maybe your own child's graduation party or a family reunion.
- In person: Includes class and course materials. It can be delivered at your site or in a central location in your community. See if this course is currently scheduled.
- Online: Watch a 15-minute presentation and print a leader's guide and handouts for yourself or a group you will train.
- DVD: The 15-minute presentation is available on DVD if you are not able to view it on our website. Contact Connie Schwartau at email@example.com or 507-337-2819 for information about the DVD.
Schedule and registration
To schedule training with your organization or in your community for several volunteer groups, you need:
- A minimum of 20 participants from your organization or community groups. Registration fee is $15 per person.
- A training site/location
- Contact Connie Schwartau at firstname.lastname@example.org for cost and arrangement details.
Connie Schwartau, email@example.com, 507-337-2819.