The list below is based on Creating and Growing Edible Schoolyards from Minnesota’s Statewide Health Improvement Program and Starting and Maintaining a School Garden from the National Farm to School Network.
- Build a team — Identify key contacts to work with on this project.
- Identify goals — Gardens have many uses and forms, work with your team to define the goals for your schoolyard garden.
- Design your garden — Create a design that engages students and meets your shared goals. See School Garden Guide — Slow Food USA — Ideas to design and build the garden.
- Find funding — Develop a creative approach to secure funds and materials for your garden. See Other Garden Grant Opportunities from MonarchLab for ideas.
- Planting your school garden — California School Garden Network — Choose plants and start growing food at school
- Sustain the garden — Make a plan for the long term. See School Garden Sustainability Plan — Cornell University — for ideas.
Other Recommended Resources
- School Garden Crops: Top Ten Vegetables to Harvest During the School Year (371 K PDF) — University of Minnesota
- School Gardens — Minnesota’s Statewide Health Improvement Program — 2011 Webinar.
- Got Dirt — Wisconsin Department of Health Services — Webinars and toolkit
- School Gardening — KidsGardening — Guides and activities.
- School Garden Resources — Life Lab — Curricula and resources.