Parents Forever™: Legal Issues and the Role of Mediation in Divorce Parent Handbook
This booklet gives an overview of the legal process involved with family transitions. Intended for divorcing, separating, and never-been-married parents, it discusses how to select an attorney, the role of a mediator, custody, and child and spousal support. One in five in the Parents Forever™ Handbook series, this 48-page booklet features ample room for parents to take notes and useful parent worksheets. See the "Contents" section below for samples from this booklet.
Introduction (152 K PDF)
Six Methods for Making Divorce Decisions
The Legal Process
Purchase multiple copies and save money!
- 1-99 copies – $8.00/each
- 100 or more copies – $6.40/each
Getting a Divorce Attorney
- Why Would You Need an Attorney? (41 K PDF)
- How to Find a Family Law Attorney
- Deciding Which Attorney to Hire
Paying for an Attorney
- The Retainer
- How Much Do Attorney's Cost?
- How to Minimize Attorney Costs
An Introduction to Mediation
- What is Mediation?
- What Are the Benefits of Mediation?
- Mediation and Family Violence
- How Much Does Mediation Cost?
Moving Ahead with Mediation
- Finding a Mediator
- What Happens in Mediation Sessions?
Custody and Parenting Plans
- What Determines Custody?
- Types of Custody
- Parenting Plans
- Parenting Time (40 K PDF)
- Can Custody Be Changed?
- What is Child Support?
- How is Child Support Determined?
- Changes in Child Support Over Time
- Interstate Moves and Child Support
Spousal Support (400 K PDF)
What Happens to Your Property and Debt?
List of Terms
Save by ordering this booklet in a Parents Forever™ package:
You may also be interested in the other parent handbooks (Parents Forever™: Complete Set of Parent Handbooks) or these Online Resources.