Publication 06775 (2012)
This 48-page booklet is a part of the Parents Forever™ curriculum developed for divorcing and never-been-married parents. It provides an overview of the legal divorce process including how to select a lawyer, the cost of an attorney, custody and child and spousal support. This booklet is written specifically for parents.
Introduction (152 K PDF)
Six Methods for Making Divorce Decisions
The Legal Process
Getting a Divorce Attorney
- Why Would You Need an Attorney? (41 K PDF)
- How to Find a Family Law Attorney
- Deciding Which Attorney to Hire
Paying for an Attorney
- The Retainer
- How Much Do Attorney's Cost?
- How to Minimize Attorney Costs
An Introduction to Mediation
- What is Mediation?
- What Are the Benefits of Mediation?
- Mediation and Family Violence
- How Much Does Mediation Cost?
Moving Ahead with Mediation
- Finding a Mediator
- What Happens in Mediation Sessions?
Custody and Parenting Plans
- What Determines Custody?
- Types of Custody
- Parenting Plans
- Parenting Time (40 K PDF)
- Can Custody Be Changed?
- What is Child Support?
- How is Child Support Determined?
- Changes in Child Support Over Time
- Interstate Moves and Child Support
Spousal Support (400 K PDF)
What Happens to Your Property and Debt?
List of Terms
Save 20% on orders of 100 or more, or 25% on orders of 300 or more!
Save by ordering this booklet in a Parents Forever™ package:
You may also be interested in the other parent handbooks (Parents Forever™: Complete Set of Parent Handbooks) or these Online Resources.