Creating a Parenting Plan
When parents divorce or separate, they need to make a plan to care for their children in difference households.
With parenting plans, parents develop a strategy for how their children will be parented in separate homes. Parenting plans help parents document important decisions like:
- Where their children will live.
- Schedules for time spent with each parent.
- How decisions will be made as issues come up.
- How to change the plan as children grow.
Get Started on Your Parenting Plan Today!
- Parenting Agreement Worksheet (409 K PDF) — We Agree: Creating a Parenting Plan — This online worksheet will walk parents through creating parenting plan. This is also available as a fillable form (373 K PDF)
- Hoja de Trabajo para hacer el Acuerdo entre Padres (1.2 MB PDF) — Bilingual (Spanish/English) version of the parenting agreement worksheet.
- Operation Family — A family care plan specifically for making parenting and family decisions when a military parent is deployed.
Creating a parent plan will not be easy if parents are having difficulty effectively communicating with each other. See the related information on Tips for Talking with Your Child's Other Parent.
See the Spanish version