Community Transformation Grant
Evaluating Northern Minnesota’s Initiatives
In 2011, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) was awarded a Community Transformation Grant (CTG) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Minnesota was awarded $3.6 million per year for five years.
CTG aims to decrease the number of people with chronic diseases by decreasing exposure to tobacco, increasing physical activity and healthy eating, and improving preventive health care services. MDH contracted the Center for Family Development to work on the healthy eating component of the grant.
In addition to several regional initiatives around the state, five local public health organizations in Northern Minnesota received funding to implement CTG strategies. Each subgrantee identified institutions in their region that serve populations with the greatest health disparities. The healthy eating strategies they will implement in these institutions include the following:
- Ensuring healthy food options are available to identified institutions’ clientele
- Cultivating Farm to Fork strategies in identified institutions
- Recruiting additional participation in existing community initiatives; for example:
- a healthcare sugar sweetened beverage sale reduction goal
- a 20% local purchasing goal
- adoption of baby-friendly hospital guidelines
- Exploring the possibility of participating in local foods cooperatives
- Creating healthy food access plans
Healthy food is defined as less added sugar, sodium, and saturated fat, and more fruits and vegetables.
These efforts target five environments:
- Healthcare institutions
- Community settings
The Evaluation Team in Family Development is working with subgrantees to evaluate the community-specific initiatives being implemented. The team is conducting interviews with key personnel in each institution being targeted, conducting food environment audits, and tracking change and progress over time.
For more information on the evaluation of the healthy eating component of CTG, please contact Amanda Corbett at 612-625-8277 or email@example.com
Community Transformation Grant — Minnesota Department of Health — CTG fact sheet and frequently asked questions.
Family Development Research — A sampling of the Center for Family Development’s research.