Volunteer Position: Class Shopper
Print (254 K PDF)
Cooking Matters® is a cooking-based nutrition education course designed to teach low-income families how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Professional chefs and nutritionists volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on courses that show adults, teens, and kids how to purchase and prepare nutritious foods in healthful, safe, and tasty ways. This can mean the difference between feeding families for just one night and making sure they have the knowledge, skills, and resources to prepare healthy meals for a lifetime.
The class shopper will ensure that each class is stocked with the healthy, inexpensive foods needed to give participants hands-on practice preparing meals they can then make for themselves at home.
- Confirm the number of participants expected prior to shopping each week.
- Shop for class supplies and weekly groceries using specified shopping lists.
- Deliver supplies and groceries to class site no later than 60 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Keep accurate, organized records of money and receipts and submit to the Cooking Matters® Coordinator upon completion of course.
- Provide classroom assistance as needed.
- Knowledge of general grocery shopping strategies and food budgeting techniques.
- Strong organizational and money management skills.
- Ability to work well with a team.
- Willingness to adhere to program policies and team decisions.
- At least 1 hour for training and orientation with Cooking Matters®.
- At least 1.5 hours per week for shopping, including travel to class location.
- Must commit to shopping for all six weeks of the course.