Volunteer Position: Class Assistant
Print (259 K PDF)
Cooking Matters® is a cooking-based nutrition education course designed to teach low-income families how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Professional chefs and nutrition educators volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on courses that show adults, teens, and kids how to purchase and prepare nutritious foods in healthful, safe, and tasty ways. This can mean the difference between feeding families for just one night and making sure they have the knowledge, skills, and resources to prepare healthy meals for a lifetime.
The Class Assistant will ensure that each class runs smoothly so that participants receive the highest quality learning experience.
- Arrive 60 minutes before class is scheduled to begin.
- Help unload and arrange groceries and supplies.
- Assemble take-home grocery bags for participants.
- Set up classroom and kitchen space to get ready for participants.
- Assist chef and nutrition educator throughout class as needed with activities, visual aids, and cooking.
- Clean up and break down the classroom before leaving.
- Interest and comfort in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work well with a team.
- Ability to travel to class location.
- Willingness to adhere to program policies and team decisions.
- At least 1 hour for training and orientation with Cooking Matters®.
- Approximately 3 hours per week for lesson preparation, travel time, class time, set-up and clean-up.
- Must commit to all six weeks of the course.